July 12, 2010

settling in

My parents came to visit yesterday, and this is the first time they've ever seen my place when it wasn't full of boxes (either coming or going). Except that it WAS full of boxes as of Saturday morning. Tony and I worked like crazy all weekend to get the downstairs looking presentable (the upstairs was a bit of a trainwreck, but we've only lived here for a month, so what do you really expect?).


We had a good visit, except for the part where their dog met our cat. We lost the cat under the bed for the better part of the day after that.


After they left, I promptly fell asleep on the sofa while Tony watched Firefly (we are seriously getting our money's worth out of our Netflix subscription, btw). After the show was over, he left to start cleaning out the office and assembling his desk and forgot all about me for a few hours. When he finally came back, I was quite well rested... to the point where I couldn't sleep at all when it was finally bed time.

so I began trimming all of the blocks in my Quilts for Kids kit. I was so excited to get back into crafting after the wedding with a fun, simple project like this (and for a good cause, too!), but it quickly turned out to be a bigger pain than I realized. All of the fabrics in my kit were cut crookedly. ALL of them. My choices were to trim them all down (we're talking 1/8" or so off of nearly every side of every block - it's amazing how such small cutting errors can ruin everything!) or to deal with it and make a sloppy quilt. Sadly, I couldn't come up with a third less frustrating option, and since my perfectionist self wasn't really doing anything else at 2:00 am today, I figured I might as well dive in.

I'll work on sewing them together later today, maybe, but for now I'm frantically trying to clean up our bedroom since OUR NEW BED IS GETTING DELIVERED TODAY! Finally, no more cramming into a full-sized bed, waking each other up every few hours just to be like "hey, move over!"

and when I say our bed is getting delivered, I really just mean our mattress, since we haven't actually bought a bed yet. so we'll be sleeping on the floor for a little while until we decide to road trip to IKEA for some new furniture. but we'll be sleeping in queen-sized memory foam luxury, and that's what really matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment