November 22, 2010

new kid on the block

Sew & Bee Happy - November

Here's my block for Kat's month in Sew & Bee Happy.  She asked for wonky houses to make an eye-spy wonky town quilt for her little girls, and this is what I came up with.  That's me on the front step, looking all matronly (don't let the round belly fool you - there are no babies in the immediate future.... or the present, for that matter).  In the first window you can see Lilly, our pet tiger, and on the opposite side, our classy lime green dining room.

I'm not going to lie - I struggled with this block a lot.  Picture blocks just aren't my thing (Exhibit A: the butterfly).  I'm not exactly sure what my issue is, and I'm certainly not convinced that it can't be overcome.  It's just... you reach a certain point and you're like "Look, I just need to be done with this.  Let's cut our losses and go for simple."

On that note, do you think the block looks a little... boring?  Yeah, I think so too.  I had originally intended on fixing the simplicity by adding some cute little applique eye-spy details, but it turns out that I'm an applique disaster, and since I wasn't about to send her little girls a craftastrophe, we're back to boring.

Kat: You have my complete blessing to jazz this block up as you see fit.  Seriously.  I don't want your kids to know me as the boring American whose only redeeming quality is her awesome pet tiger.*

* We don't even have a pet tiger!  or a lime green dining room!  I'm not actually a matryoshka doll either.

6 comments:

  1. This is not even close to being "boring"! I love it! Need to start my block ASAP now that my mugrug is done. All I know for sure is that it will feature an umbrella.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But it has tufted tweets - how could it be less than adorable?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your block is adorable. I'm sure you'll like it more when you see it with all the other blocks! Sometimes you've just looked at it too long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's really cute! And why don't you have a pet tiger?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute! I love the little nesting doll in the doorway. :)

    ReplyDelete